General considerations for your research
Special attention should be given to the date of publication of the resources you select for your paper. Liberation Theology started as part of a deep renewal of Catholic Theology that took place in the 1960s as a consequence of the Second Vatican Council. As a result, any references to “liberation” in the context of theological talk before 1965 would not refer to the movement we are studying. Furthermore, definitions and explanations of theological concepts published before 1965 would most likely reflect outdated theological views that would not help you understand the authors you will be studying. Historical and socio-economic analysis of Latin American and other “third world” situations has also evolved considerably in the last 50 years. For all these reasons, I encourage you to avoid citing materials published before 1965 in your papers, unless you do it to reference a historic primary source.
Paper Topics and Resources
Below is a list of possible research areas for your final paper. Click on the individual topics to view a list of recommended resources.
- History of Liberation Theology
- Methodology of Liberation Theology
- The Bible in Liberation Theology
- Theology (discourse about God) Liberation Theology
- Christology (discourse about Jesus Christ) in Liberation Theology
- Ecclesiology (discourse about the Church) in Liberation Theology
- Ethics in Liberation Theology
- Option for the Poor
- Spirituality in Liberation Theology
- Liberation Theology from Diverse Locations and Experiences
- Catholic Social Teaching and Liberation Theology
- Specific "People" in Liberation Theology
Search for Books
- The Library's Online Catalog will help you find print and electronic books in the Library's collection.
- ProQuest Ebook Central and Books at JSTOR contain many electronic books related to Catholic Theology. Searches in the Online Catalog will retrieve electronic books.
- Sign into ProQuest Ebook Central using your Emmanuel username and password to take advantage of bookshelf features. You can save books to your bookshelf for quick access later.
- Create keyword search strings with "AND" and "OR"
For example: Catholic and mercy
- Put phrases in quotation marks
For example "virtue ethics"
General Reference Books
- Contemporary American Religion
- Encyclopedia of human rights issues since 1945, 1999
- Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Encyclopedia of Politics and Religion REFERENCE BL65.P7 E53 2007
- Encyclopedia of Religion, 2005
- Encyclopedia of World Poverty
- New Catholic Encyclopedia, 2nd ed., 2003
- Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church REFERENCE BR95 .O8 2005
- Oxford Handbooks Online - Religion
- Westminster Dictionary of Christian Spirituality, 1983 REFERENCE BV4488 .W47
- Who's Who in Christianity, 2002
Theology - Catholic and Christian
- Dictionary of Biblical Theology, 1973 REFERENCE BS543.A1 L413
- Encyclopedia of Theology : The Concise Sacramentum Mundi, 1975 REFERENCE BR95 .E48
- Handbook of Catholic Theology, 1995 REFERENCE BX1745.5 .L4913 1995
- Law of Christ: Moral Theology for Priests and Laity, 1961-1966 REFERENCE BX1758.2 .H31
- New Dictionary of Theology, 1991 REFERENCE BR95 .N38 1991
- Sacramentum Mundi: An Encyclopedia of Theology, 1968 REFERENCE BR95 .S27
- Sacramentum Verbi: An Encyclopedia of Biblical Theology, 1970 REFERENCE BS440 .B43
- Theological Investigations (Karl Rahner) REFERENCE BX1751.2 .R33
- Westminster Dictionary of Christian Theology, 1983 REFERENCE BR95.W49
- Companion Encyclopedia of Theology, 1995
- Feminism: A Reference Handbook REFERENCE HQ1410 .H365 1998
- Handbook of American Women's History REFERENCE HQ1410.H36 1990
- Women and Politics Worldwide REFERENCE HQ1236.W6363 1994
- Women in Scripture: A Dictionary of Named and Unnamed Women in the Hebrew Bible, 2000 REFERENCE BS575.W593 2000
- Women in the Third World REFERENCE HQ1870.9 W6548 1998
- Women's Movement REFERENCE HQ1236.5 U6 R92 1996
- Women's Progress in America REFERENCE HQ1410.F76 1994
History of Christianity
- People's History of Christianity REFERENCE BR 145.3 .P46 2010
- Religious History of the American People REFERENCE BR 515.A4 2004
- Cambridge Encyclopedia of Latin America and the Caribbean REFERENCE F1406.C36 1992
- Cambridge History of Latin America REFERENCE F1410.C1834 1984
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Latin American and Caribbean Cultures REFERENCE F1406.E515 2000
- Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture REFERENCE F1406.E53 1996
- Latin America: A Political Dictionary REFERENCE F1406.R67 1992
- Latin America and the Caribbean REFERENCE F1408.L32 1992
- Legacy of the Monroe Doctrine: A Reference Guide to U.S. Involvement in Latin America and the Caribbean REFERENCE F1418.D458 1999
- Peoples of the World: The Culture, Geographical Setting, and Historical Background of 42 Latin American Peoples REFERENCE F1408.3 M84 1989
- Iberia and the Americas: Culture, Politics, and History
Recommended Article DatabasesJSTOR
A total of more than 900 full-text scholarly journal titles in an online archive beginning with the first issue of each title. The archive includes nine JSTOR Arts and Sciences Collections. In JSTOR, there is usually a time lag in full-text content. Use JSTOR in conjunction with our current online databases and print holdings. (See also Example of a Search in JSTOR )
Offers over 400 quality journal titles from nearly 100 not-for-profit publishers. Project MUSE® covers the fields of literature and criticism, history, the visual and performing arts, cultural studies, education, political science, gender studies, economics, and many others.
Catholic Periodical and Literature Index (ATLA CPLI)
The Catholic Periodical and Literature Index (ATLA CPLI) provides indexing of periodicals, essay collections, church documents, papal documents and electronic resources expressly addressing the practice and intellectual tradition of Roman Catholicism.
ATLA Religion Database
American Theological Library Association's index of journal articles, essays, book reviews, and other research material on "Biblical studies, world religions, church history, and religious perspectives on social issues."
A multidisciplinary resource providing the largest aggregated full-text database in the market today totaling more than 12,665 titles - with over 9,745 titles in full text. Covers more than 160 subject areas, including business and economics, health and medical, news and world affairs, technology, social sciences and more. Provides over 400 full-text U.S., Canadian and international newspapers; nearly 30,000 full-text dissertations in the areas of business, psychology, physical sciences, health, education; and nearly 9,000 market reports for business information for 43 industries in 40 countries.
- JSTOR and Project MUSE® contain peer-reviewed articles only.
- For the ATLA Religion Databases and Proquest Central you will need to limit your results to peer-reviewed.
- ATLA Databases are not full text. To find complete articles click the icon in the database results.
- Create keyword searches using "AND" and "OR" to find relevant resources efficiently
Like Bible and matrimony
- Put phrases in quotation marks to search for words as phrases.
Like "Tribes of Abraham"
Citation Style for THRS 2213
- MLA and Turabian are acceptable citation styles for Professor Vidaurrazaga's sections. Please choose one style and be consistent throughout your paper.
- Below are print and electronic references to assist you with citing works used for your research paper. The print versions of the style guides contain the most complete citation and formatting information.
- Print copies of these citation style guides are available at the Reference Desk.
- Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations by Kate L. Turabian (8th ed.) REFERENCE DESK LB2369 .T8 2013
- MLA Handbook (8th ed.) REFERENCE DESK LB2369 .G53 2016
Registration: Sign up for an Account by creating a Login Name and Password from a computer on campus. You will receive an email confirming your new account with instructions for accessing your RefWorks account off campus.