General Considerations for your Research
- Print and online Bible dictionaries, commentaries and encyclopedias published before 1965 are out of date. Please only use Bible Reference resources published after 1965 (post Vatican II).
- For students unable to come to the Emmanuel College Library, check your local public library, local churches (Catholic or Protestant), or nearby college libraries for print Bible dictionaries or commentaries.
- If you are still unable to locate resources, please visit our Ask a Librarian page for assistance.
- Emmanuel College library print reference books are for in-library use only and cannot be checked out.
- oremus Bible Browser
Use this link to access the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) Bible. Search by passage or scroll down to the third search area for keyword searches (e.g. Samaritan). Deselect the check boxes at the top of the page to see verse numbers, footnotes, and section headings.
- Holy Bible: New Revised Standard Version, 1989 REFERENCE BS191.5.A1 1989 .N49
- New Jerusalem Bible, 1985 REFERENCE BS195.J4
- Anchor Bible Dictionary, 1992 REFERENCE BS440.A54
- Dictionary of the New Testament, 1980 REFERENCE BS2312.L45
- Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible, 2000 REFERENCE BS440.E44 2000
- Harper Collins Bible Dictionary, 2011 REFERENCE BS440.H235 2011
- Mercer Dictionary of the Bible, 1990 REFERENCE BS440.M429 1990
- New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible, 2006 REFERENCE BS440.N443 2006
- Oxford Companion to the Bible, 1993 REFERENCE BS440.M434 1993
- Anchor Bible REFERENCE BS192.2 A1 1964 G3
(Multivolume commentary for each book of the Old & New Testaments)
- Blackwell Companion to the Bible and Culture, 2006 REFERENCE BS538.7.B62 2006
- Harper Collins Bible Commentary, 2000 REFERENCE BS491.2.H37 2000
- International Bible Commentary, 1998 REFERENCE BS511.2.I57 1998
- New Catholic Commentaries on the Holy Scripture, 1969 REFERENCE BS491.2.N48
- New Jerome Biblical Commentary, 1990 REFERENCE BS491.2.N485
- Sacra Pagina Series REFERENCE BS2575.3 .H37 1991
(Multivolume commentary for each book of the New Testament)
Further Reference Resources
General Reference Books
- Encyclopedia of Religion, 2005
- New Catholic Encyclopedia, 2nd ed., 2003
- Who's Who in Christianity, 2002
- Who's Who in the New Testament, 2002
- Women in Scripture: A Dictionary of Named and Unnamed Women in the Hebrew Bible, 2000 REFERENCE BS575.W593 2000
Ethics & Moral Theology Reference Books
- Blackwell Companion to Religious Ethics, 2008 REFERENCE BJ1188.B57 2008
- Companion Encyclopedia of Theology, 1995
- Companion to Applied Ethics, 2003 REFERENCE BJ1031.C585 2003
- Companion to Ethics, 1991 REFERENCE BJ1012.C62
- Dictionary of Ethics, Theology and Society, 1996 REFERENCE BJ63.D45 1996
- Encyclopedia of Applied Ethics, 1998 REFERENCE BJ63.E44 1998
- Encyclopedia of Ethics, 2001
- Oxford Handbooks Online - Religion
- Oxford Handbook of Practical Ethics, 2005 REFERENCE BJ1031.O94 2005
- The Oxford Handbook of Theological Ethics, 2007
- Routledge Companion to Ethics, 2010 REFERENCE BJ21.R68 2010
- Westminster Dictionary of Christian Ethics, 1986 REFERENCE BJ1199.W47
Search for Books
- The Library's Online Catalog will help you find print and electronic books in the Library's collection.
- ProQuest Ebook Central and Books at JSTOR contain many electronic books related to Catholic Theology. Searches in the Online Catalog will retrieve electronic books.
- Sign into ProQuest Ebook Central using your Emmanuel username and password to take advantage of bookshelf features. You can save books to your bookshelf for quick access later.
- Create keyword search strings with "AND" and "OR"
For example: Christianity and ethics
- Put phrases in quotation marks
For example "virtue ethics"
Recommended Article Databases
ATLA Religion Databases with ATLASerials
ATLA Religion Database® (ATLA RDB®) with ATLASerials® (ATLAS®) combines the premier index to journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion with ATLA's full text collection of 300+ major religion and theology journals. This collection also includes content previously available in the ATLA Catholic Periodical and Literature Indec (ATLA CPLI). This database is produced by the American Theological Library Association.
A total of more than 900 full-text scholarly journal titles in an online archive beginning with the first issue of each title. The archive includes nine JSTOR Arts and Sciences Collections. In JSTOR, there is usually a time lag in full-text content. Use JSTOR in conjunction with our current online databases and print holdings. (See also Example of a Search in JSTOR )
Offers over 400 quality journal titles from nearly 100 not-for-profit publishers. Project MUSE® covers the fields of literature and criticism, history, the visual and performing arts, cultural studies, education, political science, gender studies, economics, and many others.
A multidisciplinary resource providing the largest aggregated full-text database in the market today totaling more than 12,665 titles - with over 9,745 titles in full text. Covers more than 160 subject areas, including business and economics, health and medical, news and world affairs, technology, social sciences and more. Provides over 400 full-text U.S., Canadian and international newspapers; nearly 30,000 full-text dissertations in the areas of business, psychology, physical sciences, health, education; and nearly 9,000 market reports for business information for 43 industries in 40 countries.
In-depth coverage of current events, providing full-length articles that include an overview, historical background, chronology, pro/con feature, plus resources for additional research.
- JSTOR and Project MUSE® contain peer-reviewed articles only.
- For the ATLA Religion Databases with ATLASerials and Proquest Central you will need to limit your results to peer-reviewed.
- In ATLA use the Scriptures tab above the search box to find articles by Bible book, chapter, or verse.
- Create keyword searches using "AND" and "OR" to find relevant resources efficiently
Like Paul and ethics
- Put phrases in quotation marks to search for words as phrases.
Like "virtue ethics"
Citation Style for THRS 1115
- MLA and Turabian are acceptable citation styles for Professor Vidaurrazaga's sections. Please choose one style and be consistent throughout your paper.
- Below are print and electronic references to assist you with citing works used for your research paper. The print versions of the style guides contain the most complete citation and formatting information.
- Print copies of these citation style guides are available at the Reference Desk.
- Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations by Kate L. Turabian (8th ed.) REFERENCE DESK LB2369 .T8 2013
- MLA Handbook (8th ed.) REFERENCE DESK LB2369 .G53 2016