General considerations for your research
- Print and online Bible dictionaries, commentaries and encyclopedias published before 1965 are out of date. Please only use Bible Reference resources published after 1965 (post Vatican II).
- For students unable to come to the Emmanuel College Library, check your local public library, local churches (Catholic or Protestant), or nearby college libraries for print Bible dictionaries or commentaries.
- If you are still unable to locate resources, please visit our Ask a Librarian page for assistance.
- Emmanuel College library print reference books are for in-library use only and cannot be checked out.
Reference Books for Background Information
- Eerdmans Dictionary of Early Judaism, 2010 REFERENCE BM 176.E34 2010
- Exploring the Old Testament, 2002 REFERENCE BS1140.3 .M33 2002
- Encyclopaedia Judaica, 2nd ed., 2007
- Encyclopedia of Religion, 2005
- Introduction to the Hebrew Bible, 2004 REFERENCE BS1140.3 .C65 2004
- New Catholic Encyclopedia, 2nd ed., 2003
- The Oxford Handbook of Biblical Studies, 2008
- Who's Who in Christianity, 2002
- Who's Who in the New Testament, 2002
- Who's Who in the Old Testament, 2002
- Holy Bible: New Revised Standard Version, 1989 REFERENCE BS191.5.A1 1989 .N49
- New Jerusalem Bible, 1985 REFERENCE BS195.J4
- New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha REFERENCE BS191.5 A1
Library has the following editions in the Reference Collection; 1973, 1977 and 2007.
- oremus Bible Browser
Use this link to access the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) Bible. Search by passage or scroll down to the third search area for keyword searches (e.g. Samaritan). Deselect the check boxes at the top of the page to see verse numbers, footnotes, and section headings.
Bible dictionaries provide concise descriptions of words, places, people and concepts found in the Bible. The Library has both single volume dictionaries with brief definitions and multi-volume dictionaries providing more in-depth definitions.
- Anchor Bible Dictionary, 1992 REFERENCE BS440.A54
- Dictionary of Biblical Theology, 1973 REFERENCE BS543.A1 L413
- Dictionary of the New Testament, 1980 REFERENCE BS2312.L45
- Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible, 2000 REFERENCE BS440.E44 2000
- Harper Collins Bible Dictionary, 2011 REFERENCE BS440.H235 2011
- Mercer Dictionary of the Bible, 1990 REFERENCE BS440.M429 1990
- New Dictionary of Theology, 1991 REFERENCE BR95 .N38 1991
- New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible, 2006 REFERENCE BS440.N443 2006
- Oxford Companion to the Bible, 1993 REFERENCE BS440.M434 1993
- Women in Scripture: A Dictionary of Named and Unnamed Women in the Hebrew Bible, 2000 REFERENCE BS575.W593 2000
Bible CommentariesBible commentaries provide interpretations of biblical texts as well as introductory information, background, and historical context for the books of the Bible. The Library has both single volume commentaries with brief topic coverage and multi-volume sets with more in-depth coverage of each book of the bible.
- Anchor Bible REFERENCE BS192.2 A1 1964 G3
(Multivolume commentary for each book of the Old & New Testaments)
- Berit Olam REFERENCE BS1335.3 .W35 1996
(Multivolume commentary for each book of the Old Testament)
- Blackwell Companion to the Bible and Culture, 2006 REFERENCE BS538.7.B62 2006
- Harper Collins Bible Commentary, 2000 REFERENCE BS491.2.H37 2000
- International Bible Commentary, 1998 REFERENCE BS511.2.I57 1998
- New Catholic Commentaries on the Holy Scripture, 1969 REFERENCE BS491.2.N48
- New Interpreter's Bible: A Commentary in Twelve Volumes, 1994 REFERENCE BS 491.2 N484 1994
- New Jerome Biblical Commentary, 1990 REFERENCE BS491.2.N485
- Sacra Pagina Series REFERENCE BS2575.3 .H37 1991
(Multivolume commentary for each book of the New Testament)
- Women's Bible Commentary, 2012 REFERENCE BS491.3.W66 2012
- JSTOR and Project MUSE® contain peer-reviewed articles only.
- For the ATLA Religion Databases and Proquest Central you will need to limit your results to peer-reviewed.
- ATLA Databases are not full text. To find complete articles click the icon in the database results.
- Create keyword searches using "AND" and "OR" to find relevant resources efficiently
Like Bible and matrimony
- Put phrases in quotation marks to search for words as phrases.
Like "Tribes of Abraham"
Citation Styles for THRS 1111 - Professor Leclerc
- MLA or Turabian are acceptable citation styles for this course.
- Below are print and electronic references to assist you with citing works used for your research paper. The print versions of the style guides contain the most complete citation and formatting information.
- Print copies of these citation style guides are available at the Reference Desk.
- Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations by Kate L. Turabian (8th ed.) REFERENCE DESK LB2369 .T8 2013
- MLA Handbook (8th ed.) REFERENCE DESK LB2369 .G53 2016