Article Databases and Newspapers
- access databases off campus
- find peer-reviewed articles
- find the full text of an article from a citation
- request books or articles from other libraries (Interlibrary Loan)
= Emmanuel Faculty, Staff & Students only
Article Databases: Ranked by Relevance
- ATLA Religion Databases with ATLASerials
ATLA Religion Database® (ATLA RDB®) with ATLASerials® (ATLAS®) combines the premier index to journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion with ATLA's full text collection of 300+ major religion and theology journals. This collection also includes content previously available in the ATLA Catholic Periodical and Literature Indec (ATLA CPLI). This database is produced by the American Theological Library Association.
- Project MUSE®
Offers over 400 quality journal titles from nearly 100 not-for-profit publishers. Project MUSE® covers the fields of literature and criticism, history, the visual and performing arts, cultural studies, education, political science, gender studies, economics, and many others.
A total of more than 900 full-text scholarly journal titles in an online archive beginning with the first issue of each title. The archive includes nine JSTOR Arts and Sciences Collections. In JSTOR, there is usually a time lag in full-text content. Use JSTOR in conjunction with our current online databases and print holdings. (See also Example of a Search in JSTOR )
- ProQuest Religion
Provides “international periodicals for diverse religious and spiritual studies, covering formal theological studies of major religions, as well as the most recent trends and scholarly thought.”
- Humanities International Complete
Features are literary critique content and inclusion of original works of poetry, short fiction, photography, illustrations, and artwork. This database was originally funded by a gift from the Emmanuel College Class of 2006.
- Sage Journals Online
More than 800 Sage journals in Business, Humanities, Social Sciences, and Science, Technology and Medicine. Browse list of available titles.
- SocINDEX with Full Text
This index features more than 2.1 million records with subject headings from a more than 20,000 term sociology-specific thesaurus designed by expert lexicographers. SocINDEX with Full Text contains full text for more than 860 journals dating back to 1908. This database also includes full text for more than 830 books and monographs, and full text for over 16,800 conference papers.
- Search for the journal title using the A-Z Journals by Title list to verify the journals peer-reviewed status.
Search for Books
Reference Books (Print and Electronic)
- Credo Reference: Advanced Search
Find background information on your topic with the use of our online reference materials. Credo Reference contains over 600 reference titles covering all disciplines.
- Oxford Handbooks Online - Religion
The religion area of OHO provides new essays on critical topics and emerging issues in the study of religion, complementing hundreds of essays on Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism and cross-cultural thematic studies.
- Blackwell Companion to Christian Ethics, 2011 REFERENCE BJ 1251 .B54 2011
- Contemporary American Religion
- Critical Terms for Religious Studies
- Critical Terms for the Study of Buddhism
- Dictionary of Hindu Lore and Legend
- Encyclopedia of Buddhism
- Encyclopaedia Judaica, 2nd ed., 2007
- Encyclopedia of Religion, 2005
- Holidays, Festivals, and Celebrations of the World Dictionary
- New Catholic Encyclopedia, 2nd ed., 2003
- New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible, 2006 REFERENCE BS440.N443 2006
- Who's Who in Christianity, 2002
- Who's Who in the New Testament, 2002
- Who's Who in the Old Testament, 2002
- Women's Bible Commentary, 2012 REFERENCE BS491.3.W66 2012
- Association of Religion Data Archives (ARDA)
Preserves quantitative data on American and World religions. Explore Data Archive, International, QuickStats, and more. Supported by the Lilly Endowment, the John Templeton Foundation, the Baylor Institute for Studies of Religion, and the Pennsylvania State University.
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library
Mostly full-text collection, by and about Christian thinkers from the early Church Fathers through the 20th Century. Includes MIDI files of music and links to related reference works. Project directed by Harry Plantinga, professor of Computer Science, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Coleccion Especial Anton T. Boisen
Special collection of digitized works by Anton T. Boisen. Explore his articles and unedited papers, case studies, and other collected writings. Universidad Interamericana de Puerto Rico.
- Digital Dead Sea Scrolls
Israel Museum, Jerusalem.
- Early Church Fathers
Provides the majority of the text of a 38-volume collection of writings from the first 800 years of the Church. This collection is divided into two areas Ante-Nicene Fathers and Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers. Indexes are not included and Vol. IX of the Ante-Nicene Series, consisting entirely of index information, is not available. Christian Classics Ethereal Library.
- Monastic Matrix
"Scholarly resource for the study of women's religious communities from 400 to 1600 C.E. [A.D.]." Presented by The Ohio State University, The Harvey Goldberg Center for Excellence in Teaching and the Department of History.
- oremus Bible Browser
Use this link to access the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) Bible. Search by passage or scroll down to the third search area for keyword searches (e.g. Samaritan). Deselect the check boxes at the top of the page to see verse numbers, footnotes, and section headings.
- The Pluralism Project at Harvard University
The mission of this project is "to help Americans engage with the realities of religious diversity through research, outreach, and the active dissemination of resources."
- Religion and the Founding of the American Republic
Library of Congress exhibition of manuscripts, letters, prints, and more exploring the role of religion in early American history.