Article Databases: Ranked by Relevance
- access databases off campus
- find peer-reviewed articles
- find the full text of an article from a citation
- request books or articles from other libraries (Interlibrary Loan)
= Emmanuel Faculty, Staff & Students only
A total of more than 900 full-text scholarly journal titles in an online archive beginning with the first issue of each title. The archive includes nine JSTOR Arts and Sciences Collections. In JSTOR, there is usually a time lag in full-text content. Use JSTOR in conjunction with our current online databases and print holdings.
(See also Example of a Search in JSTOR )
Note: Use the Journal Filter to narrow by discipline and/or journal to explore the journals in Middle East Studies.
Offers over 400 quality journal titles from nearly 100 not-for-profit publishers. Project MUSE® covers the fields of literature and criticism, history, the visual and performing arts, cultural studies, education, political science, gender studies, economics, and many others.
Taylor & Francis Group Journals Online
Nearly 1,000 journals in the social sciences and humanities published by the Taylor & Francis Group, including: Routledge, Garland, Psychology Press, and Taylor & Francis.
Academic Search Premier
Multidisciplinary database with extensive full-text coverage in biology, chemistry, engineering, physics, psychology, religion, theology and other disciplines in the humanities. Indexes 8,450 publications with full text for more than 4,600 of those titles (more than 3,900 are peer-reviewed). PDF backfiles to 1975 or earlier for more than one hundred journals. Searchable cited references for more than 1,000 publications.
Provides country-specific intelligence and data on all countries, including daily news coverage, intelligence briefings, and up-to-date articles from regional news wire services across the globe.
Academic OneFile (1980 - current)
Contains peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world's leading journals and reference sources; extensive coverage of the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature, and other subjects. Includes full-text coverage of the New York Times back to 1985. Millions of full-text articles, updated daily.
Additionally, search in Google Scholar .
- Search for the journal title using the A-Z Journals by Title list to verify the journals peer-reviewed status.
Think Tanks/Research Centers
- Carnegie Middle East Center
“An independent policy research institute based in Beirut, Lebanon, and part of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. The center provides in-depth analysis of the political, socioeconomic, and security issues facing the Middle East and North Africa.”
- Brookings Center for Middle East Policy
A division of the U.S.-based Brookings Institution whose "mission is to chart the path—political, economic and social—to a Middle East at peace with itself and the world."
- Brookings Doha Center
"Based in Qatar, the Brookings Doha Center is an overseas center of the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., that advances high-quality, independent policy analysis and research on the Middle East."
- Middle East Institute
“The oldest Washington-based institution dedicated solely to the study of the Middle East."
- Council on Foreign Relations - Middle East and North Africa
Portal to CFR analysis of the region. Use the drop-down menu to filter resources by topic and publication type.
- International Crisis Group - Middle East and North Africa
“An independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization committed to preventing and resolving deadly conflict.”
- Human Rights Watch - Middle East/North Africa
A portal to the region-specific work of this human rights research and advocacy organization.
- Arab Barometer
A multinational effort to "produce scientifically reliable data on the politically-relevant attitudes of ordinary citizens" in the region.
- CIA World Factbook - Middle East
Gateway to country-specific information in the CIA-produced reference resource.
- U.S. Department of State - Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs
"Deals with U.S. foreign policy and U.S. diplomatic relations with" the states and territories in the Middle East region. "Regional policy issues that NEA handles include Iraq, Middle East peace, terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, and political and economic reform."
- United Nations - Middle East offices and activities
Resources related to UN involvement in the Middle East.
- World Bank - Middle East and North Africa
A landing page for World Bank research, news, and statistics related to the region.
- European Union Institute for Security Studies - Middle East and North Africa
Regional page of the European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS), the EU's "agency dealing with the analysis of foreign, security and defense policy issues.
- International Labour Organization (ILO) - Arab States
Portal to the ILO's Beirut office and its work in the region.
Country-specific data and analyses are also sometimes available through the websites of various intergovernmental organizations (IGOs). Explore an extensive list of IGOs produced by Northwestern University Library.
Online News and Reference Resources
- Middle East Studies: News Sources
A listing of mostly English-language news sources based in or otherwise focused on the Middle East. Broken down by country and focus/media type. Maintained by Georgia State University Library.
- The Middle East 1916-2001: A Documentary Record
Provides access to important historical documents related to the region. Maintained by the Avalon Project at Yale University Law School.
Books (print and e-books)
- Art Full Text
- Art Full-Text provides articles from over 300 journals from 1995 to present and abstracts and indexing of more than 600 periodicals back to 1984, many of them peer-reviewed. Expanded coverage of Latin American, Canadian, Asian and non-Western art, new artists, contemporary art, exhibition reviews, and feminist criticism.
- Art Index Retrospective indexes almost 600 titles published between 1929 and 1984.
Books (print and e-books)
- Art of Hajj N6260 .P67 2012
- Encyclopedia of Arab Women Filmmakers
- Grove Encyclopedia of Islamic Art and Architecture REFERENCE N6260 .G75 2009
- Modernism and the Middle East : Architecture and Politics in the Twentieth Century
"Officially launched in 2002 as a partnership between the Aga Khan Trust for Culture and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Archnet has since evolved into the largest open, online architectural library with a focus on Muslim cultures."
- Art of the Islamic World (Khan Academy)
An introduction to the history of the visual arts in Muslim societies. Part of a larger online resource on the history of art.
Books (print and e-books)
- 19 Varieties of Gazelle : Poems of the Middle East PS3564.Y44 A613 2005
- Literature and Nation in the Middle East
Also available in Print PJ7519.N3 L58 2006
- A Millennium of Turkish Literature: A Concise History
- Tablet & Pen: Literary Landscapes from the Modern Middle East: a Words without Borders Anthology PJ409 .T33 2011