- access databases off campus
- determine a journal's impact factor/other journal metrics
- find peer-reviewed articles
- find the full text of an article from a citation
- Academic Search Premier
- Project MUSE®
- ProQuest Central
- Humanities International Complete
- Academic OneFile (1980 - current)
- Each student will be assigned one of the historical figures listed.
- You will have to do research on your person.
- You need to find at least three scholarly sources (articles and/or books) that discuss the person.
- You will pick one specific event in the life of this person and narrate it in your paper.
- You will use the event (passing of a law, signing of a decree, creation of a specific movie, creation of a specific piece of art or literature) to discuss the time period your person lived in.
- You will have to place in historical context the event and elaborate on the historical background developing around the life of this person.
- You will write a double-spaced 7- page paper, using size 12 Times New Roman Font.
- You will use proper citation style (Chicago)
- Lastly, you will create a creative presentation of your historical figure.
Japanese Historical Figures
- Tokugawa Ieyasu
- Oda Nobunaga
- Ito Hirobumi
- Koizumi Junichiro
- Fukuzawa Yukichi
- Shinzo Abe
- Tokugawa Iemitsu
- Utagawa Kunisada
- Inoue Kaoru
- Kuga Katsunan
- Ienaga Saburo
- Ishihara Shintaro
- Toyotomi Hideyoshi
- Okubo Toshimichi
- Yukio Mishima
- Hibari Misora
- Banana Yoshimoto
- Hayao Miyazaki
- Kitagawa Utamaro
- Kawanabe Kyosai
- Chikamatsu Monzaemon
Chicago Style of Citations
- Chicago Manual of Style (17th ed.) REFERENCE DESK Z253 .U69 2017
- The Chicago Manual of Style Online: Chicago-Style Citation Quick Guide
For common examples of materials cited. University of Chicago Press.
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL)
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
Citation Management Tool
Registration: Sign up for an Account by creating a Login Name and Password from a computer on campus. You will receive an email confirming your new account with instructions for accessing your RefWorks account off campus.