Subject-Specific Article Databases
Subject-Specific Article Databases: A - Z
- access databases off campus
- find peer-reviewed articles
- find the full text of an article from a citation
Subject-Specific Article Databases: A - Z
- AGRICOLA: (AGRICultural OnLine Access)
"Database of citations to the agricultural literature created by the National Agricultural Library and its cooperators." Encompasses agricultural, veterinary, plant, forestry, aquaculture and fisheries, farming, food and human nutrition, and environmental sciences.
- BioMed Central
Over 200 open access journals covering all areas of biology and medicine.
A "collection of scholarly, government and general-interest titles" concerning the environmental impact of humans. "Includes content on global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more. The database provides indexing and abstracts for more than 384,000 records, as well as open access, full text for more than 4,700 records."
A total of more than 900 full-text scholarly journal titles in an online archive beginning with the first issue of each title. The archive includes nine JSTOR Arts and Sciences Collections. In JSTOR, there is usually a time lag in full-text content. Use JSTOR in conjunction with our current online databases and print holdings. (See also Example of a Search in JSTOR )
- Lexis-Nexis Academic
An interdisciplinary, full-text database of over 10,000 sources focusing on current news and business, government/legal, and medical issues.
- Medline (EBSCO)
MEDLINE provides authoritative medical information on medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and much more. Created by the National Library of Medicine, MEDLINE uses MeSH (Medical Subject Headings) indexing with tree numbers, tree hierarchy, subheadings and explosion capabilities to search citations from approximately 5,400 current biomedical journals.
PubMed comprises more than 24 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites.
- Science Direct (Elsevier)
Access to full text of over 2,500 scholarly, peer-reviewed journals in the areas of: Biochemistry; Business and Management; Genetics and Molecular Biology; Chemistry; Immunology and Microbiology; Medicine; Psychology; and Social Science. Includes recently-accepted articles in press.
- SciFinder Scholar (Chemical Abstracts Online)
Explore the SciFinder Training Materials. Note: For on-campus use by Emmanuel faculty and students only and requires registration using your Emmanuel email account from an on-campus computer to access.
- Search for the journal title using the A-Z Journals by Title list to verify the journals peer-reviewed status.
- National Snow and Ice Data Center
Explore the Data tab.
- United Nations Sustainability Development Goals
Click Goals to explore facts, targets, and links the United Nations has created for their Sustainable Development Agenda. Explore the Media tab to see recent coverage regarding the UN's 17 sustainability goals.
- ICUN Red List of Threatened Species
Explore Initiatives and Resources. Additionally, use the search box to find the status of a specific animal. Created by the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (ICUN), now called the World Conservation Union.
- USGS: Ecosystems Mission Area Presents biological resources and conservation management resources in the United States. U.S. Geological Survey.
- U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Scientific and Technical Information
"OSTI.GOV contains over 70 years of energy-related research results and citations..."
- Global Health Watch
The Global Health Watch is a social justice approach of monitoring global health with the goal of counterbalancing market-driven perspectives and magnifying the voices of the poor and vulnerable.
- World Health Organization (WHO) Explore the menu options of Data, Programmes, and Countries.
- World's Water: Information on the World's Freshwater Resources
- American Society of International Law (ASIL) Electronic resource guide for international law. Explore the Topics and Resources menu options at the top of the page.
- Biological & Experimental Research Abstracts Database
Office of Biological and Environmental Research, U.S. Department of Energy
- PLANTS Database
U.S. Department of Agriculture's database of plants in the United States and its territories. Searchable by scientific or common name and symbol.
- Tree of Life Web Project
"A collaborative effort of biologists and nature enthusiasts from around the world. On more than 10,000 World Wide Web pages, the project provides information about biodiversity, the characteristics of different groups of organisms, and their evolutionary history." Originally hosted at University of Arizona.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Presents comparable statistics regarding economic, social and environmental data for the international community. Explore the statistics by selecting the Data tab from the top menu and, then, browse by Topic or Country.
- U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
"[C]ollects, analyzes, and disseminates independent and impartial energy information to promote sound policymaking, efficient markets, and public understanding of energy and its interaction with the economy and the environment." Use the Geography drop-down menu to browse a variety of tools regarding global energy use.
- AGRIS: International Information Systems for the Agricultural Sciences and Technology
Covers "many aspects of agriculture, including forestry, animal husbandry, aquatic sciences and fisheries, and human nutrition, extension literature from over 100 participating countries." Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
- Earth Institute at Columbia University
Explore the Research and Multimedia tabs.
- Environmental & Energy Resources Library
Explore this directory of environmental science web resources by selecting Browse Resources in the top menu. [See About Environmental & Energy Resources Library]
- Science Tracer Bullets Online
Science Reference Services research guides from the Library of Congress.
- World Resources Institute (WRI) Explore the What We Do, Maps & Data, and Publications (for WRI reports) top menu options.
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Association of Environmental Professionals (AEP)
- International Energy Agency
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- Science.gov: USA.gov for Science
- U.S. National Park Service
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- United States Geological Survey (USGS)
- The World Water Council (WWC)