Web Sites: Museums and Collections
- The Bostonian Society and Old State House Museum
- Edward M. Kennedy Institute
"The Edward M. Kennedy Institute offers a variety of exhibits and experiences for visitors. The exhibit halls feature technology-driven projected displays that immerse visitors in the history of the Senate." Boston, MA.
- Harvard Art Museums
A searchable collection of art works from Harvard’s Fogg, Busch-Reisinger, and Sackler Museums. Provides provenance and exhibition histories.
- Institute of Contemporary Art
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
An Emmanuel ID gains admission to regular hours of the Museum for the entire Emmanuel community; it does not gain access to special events. Boston, MA.
- John Adams Library Online at the Boston Public Library
- John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum
Use the Library's internal search engine to find unabridged files and explore the interactive exhibits:
- Civil Rights timeline;
- World on the Brink - JFK and the Cuban Missile Crisis; and
- The Presidential Desk: A virtual tour (requires flash player).
- Massachusetts Historical Society
- MIT Museum
- Museum of African American History, Boston and Nantucket
- Museum of Fine Arts
Emmanuel students, faculty and staff have free general admission to the MFA with their Emmanuel IDs.
- Museum of Science (MOS)
- New England Aquarium
- Peabody Essex Museum
Located in Salem, Massachusetts, the Peabody collection spans 200 years of history, representing: American Decorative Arts; Asian, Oceanic and African Arts and Culture; Asian Export Art; Early American Architecture; Maritime Art and History; Native American Art and Archaeology; and Natural History.
Web Sites: History and Landmarks
- Boston African American National Historical Site
National Park Service.
- Boston Massacre Historical Society
Complete research resource on the Boston Massacre.
- Boston National Historical Park
- Boston Planning & Development Agency (BPDA)
Information about neighborhoods, zoning, and development including maps, data sets, GIS resources, and documents.
- Boston, Massachusetts History and Architecture
Provides descriptions and histories of public art and architecture and biographies of historical figures. Select Research Goodies for population demographics for the city and specific neighborhoods, interactive maps, and a detailed description of Trinity Church. Dave Wieneke.
- Emerald Necklace Conservancy
Provides information on Frederick Law Olmsted, designer of the Emerald Necklace, restoration and maintenance project updates, and photos of the parks, including the Back Bay Fens and the Riverway.
- Freedom Trail
- Norman B. Leventhal Map Center at the Boston Public Library
- Paul Revere House