Alumnae Archives of Emmanuel College

Emmanuel Charter, 1921The Alumnae Archives was founded in 1981 by Ann (Grady) Fleming, ’31, biological sister of Emmanuel’s President Sr. Ann Bartholomew Grady, SND, ‘28 (1960-1969), after serving the College for several decades, in a variety of roles. Mrs. Fleming, prior to her service as the Alumnae Archivist, served as the Alumnae Association president and helped establish an Alumnae Office and in 1953 initiated the Alumnae Fund. She was also appointed to the College Advisory Board in 1956 and served as the executive secretary of the Alumnae Association. In her role as Alumnae Archivist, Mrs. Fleming gathered documents, photographs and ephemera from College Offices and Departments, associated organizations (such as the Alumnae Association) and alumnae. In addition, she created documents, scrapbooks and other ephemera that were used for such events as Alumnae Weekend. Ann (Grady) Fleming’s ’31 service to Emmanuel College stop in the early 2000s and the Alumni Archives were officially transferred to the Emmanuel College Archives in 2010.     

The collection contains memorandums, correspondences, meeting minutes, scrapbooks, newspaper-clipping, photographs and other public documents (e.g. sporting events flyers, reunion weekend flyers) about Emmanuel College (Boston, MA) in the 20th and 21st centuries. The collection also contains material related to Emmanuel students and alumnae. In addition, the Alumnae Archives contains material related to the history of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur.